Since 1934 Willmut Gas has been serving South Mississippi with it's natural gas needs. Willmut Gas Company is a natural gas distributor based in Hattiesburg, Ms with area offices located in Magee, Ms and Pearl, Ms It serves cities and communities including Hattiesburg Oak Grove, Rawls Springs, Leeville, Dixie, Sanford, Seminary, Collins, Mount Olive, Magee, Mendenhall, D’Lo, Braxton, Pearl, Flowood, Montery, east Jackson, and Thomasville, supplying natural gas to residential, commercial and industrial customers. Natural gas service first became available in the Hattiesburg area in the late 1920’s when W. S. F. Tatum, who was the mayor of Hattiesburg, convinced the city fathers to use natural gas. The Mississippi Public Service Corporation built an eight-inch pipeline from Rankin County which became operational in 1933. In early 1934, W. S. F. Tatum’s son; Frank, purchased the company with the intention of operating it long enough to make it profitable. The new company was christened Willmut Gas and Oil Company. “Willmut” was derived from Mayor Tatum’s first name, Will, and the last syllable of his last name spelled backwards. It began by serving approximately 200 customers with natural gas service, but today it provides service to more than 21,000 customers from Hattiesburg to Pearl, Ms. In 2012, Willmut Gas Company’s 78th year of operation, the company was purchased by Sempra U. S. Gas & Power. The acquisition expanded Sempra U.S. Gas & Power's growing natural gas footprint in the Southeast U.S.
Main office is located in Historic downtown Hattiesburg at 315 South Main Street by the railroad tracks. Its located in close proximity to the Train Depot.